Tips for Students & Parents Paying for College Expenses

We hope that everyone had a wonderful Labor Day weekend!  With summer officially coming to a close and school in full swing there is still time to have an impact on your 2012 taxes.  Last week we discussed taxes pertaining to our business and children.  This week we will share how paying college expenses can impact your taxes.   Some of us are now parents to (gulp) a college student.  This can be an exciting and scary time for both the parents and young adult.  With this new and exciting adventure comes the ever increasing expense for attending college.

Luckily the IRS offers some tips about education tax benefits that can help offset some of the college costs.  There are a few options to choose from.  The first is the American Opportunity Credit; this credit can be up to $2,500 per eligible student and is available for the first 4 years at an eligible institution.  Forty percent of this credit is refundable which means you may be able to receive $1,000 even if you don’t owe taxes.  The second is the Lifetime Learning Credit; this allows you to claim up to $2,000 for qualified expenses paid for a student at an eligible institution.  Unlike the American Opportunity Credit there is no limit to the number of years you can claim this credit for an eligible student.

Qualified expenses include tuition and fees, course related books, supplies and equipment.  Only one type of education credit per student may be claimed in the same tax year.  If you have more than one college student you can claim the American credit on one and the Lifetime credit on the other, if you so choose.

There is also Student loan interest deduction.  Most personal interest we pay is not deductible, however interest paid on a qualified student loan may be deductible.  This can reduce your income subject to tax by up to $2,500, even when you don’t itemize deductions.

Education benefits are subject to income limitations and may be reduced or eliminated depending on your income.  If you are paying college expenses please contact us with any questions & to make sure you are maximizing all possible benefits toward your 2012 taxes.


In the weeks to come we will share several last minute tax planning tips you can still do to have an impact on your 2012 taxes.  We will discuss how you can be using your credit card, to buying office equipment, and even buying or selling a vehicle, and much more.


Please feel free to contact Harvey and Caldwell, PA at 913-451-4400 or visit our website as a resource for your tax needs.

Paying your Children to help with your Business

Now that Labor Day is upon us and summer is coming to an end we turn our focus forward.  Many of us have children that have just started a new school year.  We are starting to think about the holiday season and how we can save money.  Did you consider that you still can have an impact on your 2012 taxes?  Over the next few weeks we will inform you of some last minute, practical, tax planning tips you can do to have an impact on your return as an individual, business owner or corporation.

In light of the new 2012-2013 class we will focus this week on paying our children for helping with business chores.   Do you have children under 18 helping you with your business?  Paying them for their chores is a plus for the whole family.  Wages paid by the parent to the child for work done in the parent’s business are deductible by the parent and are also exempt from payroll taxes.  If your business is a proprietorship or single member LLC you face no payroll taxes on W-2 wages you pay to your child under 18 years of age.

An example is you pay your child $5,000 in wages for work during the year.  You can deduct the $5,000 and pocket $2,000 since you are in the 40% tax bracket.  Your child can use the 2012 standard deduction to eliminate taxes on up to $5,950 in wages thus your child collects the $5,000 and pays zero taxes.  This leaves your family with $2,000 additional money!

Please stay tuned over the next few weeks for more last minute tax planning tips.  We will discuss other ways you can impact your 2012 taxes ranging from using your credit card, to buying office equipment, and even buying or selling a vehicle, plus tips for college expenses, and much more.

Please feel free to contact Harvey and Caldwell, PA at 913-451-4400 or visit our website as a resource for your tax needs.

How to Respond to IRS Notice

All Taxpayer Clients and Friends—


We are including here 8 tips that you should consider when responding to an IRS notice..  This is a list provided by the IRS and should be used for keeping your response relevant and timely.  Naturally, if you can’t come up with a knowledgeable answer, or would like assistance communicating with the IRS, please contact us.

Eight Tips for Taxpayers Who Receive an IRS Notice

Thank you.

Gerald E. Harvey, Jr.

Certified Public Accountant

A Recent Tax Court Decision

The Chief Counsel’s Office has advised,in CCA 201228037, dated May I, 2012, that Medicare Parts A and B constitute medical care insurance coverage for deductibility as SE Health Insurance for business owners. This has not been allowed as a deduction in years past.

If you are a self-employed individual, partner, or S corporation shareholder-employee you can get these deducted from your income for both income tax (Federal and State) an Self-Employment tax.

You can also go back to all three prior years and AMEND them for refunds!

For the current year, 2012, and future years, partners and S corporation shareholder employees should get reimbursed for their Medicare payments from their entity.

Please call myself or my partner Noelle Caldwell for any future questions or need to amend past tax returns.  Attached is a full description of this matter by BNA.

Medicare Description by BNA


1 15 16 17